Surfing through the internet to get a free video converter software to make Video Files smaller without losing quality can be a bit challenging. Videos files can be very large after recording or editing and that can be a problem for uploading or taking much storage space in our device. Unless for a high resolution video quality, converting video into a smaller size is far more better. It increases upload time to the web and occupies lesser storage space.
In this article, we will explain five free Video Converter Software to make a video files smaller without losing quality:
When exporting video from any free video editing software, we recommend using H.264 encoding with an MP4 encoder. With this trick, compressing videos will only slightly affect the video quality.
How To Reduce Video Files Without Losing Quality
1. VLC Player
The popular VLC media player software is a great choice for playing Video files and can also been used as video converter software, making video files smaller without losing quality.
Free VLC Download For Windows, Mac, and Linux
Follow Steps After Download To Reduce Video Size Using VLC Player
- After installation, click Media > Convert/Save.
2. Click Add to browse through your computer and select your video file
3. Click the “Drop-down Arrow” beside the Convert/Save button to select the conversion type.
4. VLC has recommendations for different types of videos.
For YouTube, select Video for YouTube HD to retain the video quality. For TV view, select Video for MPEG4 1080p TV/device. Optimizing for Android, iPod, or iPhone, select Video for MPEG4 720p TV/device.
5. For further screen resolution setting, you can change the screen resolution of the video by clicking the Settings button (with a screwdriver icon to the right of the Profile dropdown), select Video Codec tab, Resolution tab.
Resolution is the number of pixels in a video file, and it is labeled with by a horizontal x vertical measurement for definition quality.
We recommend for mobile resolution
height: 416px (click save after settings)
6. Select a location to save the video by clicking Browse to select.
7. Click Start to begin convertion.
NOTE: Compressing a large video file takes longer time so depends on the video size.
2. Shotcut (Windows, Mac, Linux)
Shotcut is an open source software that enables users to make video files smaller without losing quality for free. It has more of video editing features which makes it a more useful software than just video converter.
Free Shotcut Download For Windows, Mac And Linux
Follow Steps After Download To Reduce Video Size Using Shotcut
- Click Open File button to select your video file.
2. Click Export at the top-right corner of the window.
3. A list of Video File format options will appear.
4. We recommend H.264 Baseline Profile because this format will likely reduce the video size without losing too much quality.
There are plenty options to choose for compression. Try out other options that better suits your video.
5. You can adjust the size of the video by changing either the Resolution or Aspect ratio fields.
NOTE: Shotcut will not automatically adjust the corresponding option for you. If you change the horizontal resolution, you’ll need to calculate the proper vertical resolution to make sure you don’t end up with a pinched video.
Selecting a lower-quality will automatically adjust the resolution, select HDV (hdv_720_25p) which will decrease the resolution from the normal 1080p.
Exporting options can also get the type of file option needed, but its best used by experts.
3. QuickTime Player (Mac)
The default media player for Apple devices is another option for making a video file smaller without losing quality. The major setback of this software is it can not work on other operating systems such as Windows 7.
To make a video smaller with QuickTime, follow the steps
1. Open the app and click File > Open File to select the video file
2. Click File > Export As to begin making your video file smaller.
3. QuickTime software does not give video format options to choose from like other apps.
4. Select 720p or 480p and export your file. It should be smaller than previous video file selected.
4. VideoSmaller (Web)
There are majority of websites online that can let you upload and reduce a video file. Most of these websites requires an account to use there free tool, some require a monthly fee (or a watermark on your video), and others are completely free.
Option 1: It is used for low compression, it gives a better quality but won’t reduce the file size as much as using standard compression.
Option 2: It is used to scale down videos which result to lower quality, but it might reduce in size.
Lastly, you can check the box to remove audio from the video. This could save you a notable amount of space. But it leaves you without any sound on your video.
5. Clipchamp (Web)
Regular project of reducing video file size? Consider using a paid service like Clipchamp. Clipchamp gives you more options, including video editing options, upload videos of any size, and process videos in batches.
Clipchamp give free service with a watermarks left in your video. So if you’re going to be sharing videos, you should probably step up to the Business plan, which is $7.50 per month or $99 per year.
Love this post? Share with friends on your favorite social media